Who Can Help You Participate?

Advocacy Support

The Australian Government has funded various support services to assist people who are engaging with the Disability Royal Commission (see: https://www.dss.gov.au/disability-and-carers-disability-royal-commission-support-services/find-disability-royal-commission-support-services-in-your-area).  

The purpose of Advocacy Support is to assist people with a disability, or their family members or carers acting on their behalf, to protect their rights and understand how to engage with the Disability Royal Commission.   

Within this role they will help you understand how to tell your story, work out problems, find communication supports, or access other supports, including legal and financial services.   

They do not make decisions for you, nor tell you what to do.

Advocates in your area can be located by performing a search in the disability advocacy finder that the Commission has set up to assist (see: https://disabilityadvocacyfinder.dss.gov.au/disability/ndap/).    

Unfortunately these services are primarily in capital city locations but there are some located in regional areas.   

As at the time of writing these services did did not appear adequate or satisfactory. You may find that they refuse to assist or assist in a meaningful way. If you experience this, we encourage you to complain to the Royal Commission and let them know which organisation and individual you spoke to.  We can only create change if the the Commission is aware of the issue.

You can call the Disability Royal Commission Hotline to make a complaint on 1800 517 199 or or +61 7 3734 1900 (9:00am to 6:00pm AEDT Monday to Friday, excluding national public holidays). 

You can also mail a complaint to GPO Box 1422, Brisbane Qld 4001.

A translating and Interpreting Service is available. For a free-of-charge translator or interpreter phone the Translating and Interpreting Service – external site on 131 450 and ask to be connected to 07 3734 1900.

You can also send an email of complaint to DRCEnquiries@royalcommission.gov.au.


Support Services

There are counselling support services being provided for those participating in the Royal Commission. Unfortunately, there is no assistance should there be an adverse physical reaction and/or decline in your condition.   ME/CFS Australia recommends that you assess your individual capability and resources to determine the level at which you can safely participate in the Commission inquiry.   ME/CFS Australia also recommends that you make plans for recovery, in the event that your condition deteriorates.

Counselling from Blue Knot Foundation is available to you, your families and carers, or anyone else affected by the Disability Royal Commission.

The National Counselling and Referral Service can be contacted on 1800 421 468 or (02) 6146 1468 to access support or obtain referral to another support service.   You can also find contact details for support services on the website at www.dss.gov.au/disability-royal-commission-support.  

Information is accurate as at 21 May 2021

Go back to:
Participating in the Royal Commission

Up next:
How Can You Participate?

Scroll to top